Tuesday, December 30, 2008

Year.introspect(2008)

Well, another year is just rolling by and am here again introspecting the happenings during the last 12 months. This year had been an quite eventful on both work and personal fronts.

On the personal front - Got married on March 09 and it took a while to get adjusted to the family life, given that I was away from home most of the time for my education and career. Should say that I ramped up quite fast here. My wife Madhuri is very understanding and did her best to make our lives happy. We got the pending tasks done at the new house and finally moved into the new house during November. Personal tasks, unsually, took lot of effort, but managed it quite well.

On the work front - an year filled with lot of learning and fun with technology. Made a formal entry to the world of services, yeah, the SOA stuff. Played and had fun with webservices, ALSB. Worked with some of the best brains and learnt a lot. This year, in addition to the role of an architect, I was also in the role of an Delivery Lead (DL). It was a thrilling experience to learn and disseminate the technical stuff, define the contracts, keep the team motivated and making the day-to-day tasks more enjoyable. Understanding the group dynamics and building the team was really cool. I realized that the best way to motivate the team is to kindle the technical passion and fuel it continuously by challenging the developers. Facilitate the team and encourage them to do it themselves.

Coming to the reading part, I read only three books this year. SOA - concepts, technology and design and SOA - prinicples of service design, both by Thomsa Erl. The first book is well over 600 pages and took a while for completion. These came to me as gifts from Madhuri on my birthday. I highly recommend reading these books. I also read How to win friends and influence people by Dale Carnegie, it was very good read.

Overall, it was very good year. I wish everyone a very happy and prosperous new year.

No comments: