Thursday, May 15, 2008

Agile is not going to work for me!

This is not my statement. This is the initial statement I keep hearing when people are introduced to Agile. During lunch today, a (heated) discussion started around Agile and the folks are from the testing team. To start with, they are not convinced with the scrum standup calls. When asked how they are doing it, the reply was they are doing it once a week with 18 members in the team! Well, is that a stand up call? When asked the same question, the answer I got back was standup call is no different than a status meeting. Hmmmm, I have no words to describe my feelings. Grossly disgusting. Agile and the tenets of Agile are being misconstrued and misinterepreted.

3 comments:

Kaushik said...

Reminds me of the saying - a little knowledge is always a dangerous thing. Its going to be difficult trying to show them the correct path.

Hendry Luk said...

OK... honestly... I'm not sure why stand-up call is not much different with status meeting?
We talk about what we have done yesterday, what we're gonna do today, and problems (3 scrum questions).
And this is how we have always done it, and I don't understand how is it so much different from status-meeting?

ravisk said...

@Hendry
Status meeting is typically conducted (in Indian cos) once a week for an hour. Usually, team/tech leads present the status to the project/delivery manager. The example I cited in the blog entry is an illustration of how incorrectly a standup meeting is done, defeating the purpose of it.